Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Maisey the Mare


Rescued New Kyo wonder horse is a real winner

Angela Ginty with her horse Maisey who she rescued and trained
Angela Ginty with her horse Maisey who she rescued and trained
ANIMAL loving Angela Ginty saved a starving pony – and turned her into Champion the wonder horse.














Today, Maisey the mare is the picture of health and happiness.
But just two years ago she was riddled with worms and so thin her bones jutted out.
Angela Ginty, of Annfield Plain, County Durham, spotted Maisey near her daughter’s house in New Kyo and had to step in.
“I found out who the owner was and went to see him,” said Angela, 43. “She had worms and was painfully thin, there was no food in the field.
“He said to take her – and if I didn’t he would shoot her. I haven’t kept horses since I was a child and I didn’t have any gear or even anywhere to put her, but I bought a head harness and walked her out of the field.
“I found a stables for her and started to build her up. If I had left her I am sure she would have been dead by now.”
But just four months after her rescue Maisey was in such good form she won first prize at the Lanchester Show.
The 13-year-old mare, who goes by the show name of Ginty’s Girl, has gone on to rack up rosette after rosette, even when competing against the pros.
It’s a big change from her past – Maisey still bears the wounds of when she was used as a car horse and whipped.
“I thought she would be nervous or unpredictable because of what she has been through in the past but she just seems to know she’s loved now,” said Angela.
“I ride with her every day and she loves it. I think she also likes performing - I can feel her showing off as we go past the judges.
“People who saw her in that field can’t believe the change in her. She is amazing and she has such spirit.”
Angela, a mum-of-one who works for a vending machine company, has since bought two more horses, Cleveland bay Harry and miniature Shetland pony Lucy, who are all stabled together at Toft Gate farm in Burnopfield.
And she is now training Maisey in showjumping, dressage and more.
“It felt like I was meant to take Maisey and I am so proud of what she has done,” Angela added. “She is just beautiful.”


1 comment:

  1. Just walked for an hour and think this story better for my heart than that lovely walk. Thank you. Children must be the key to horses` and burros` futures. Declan, your natural speeches and thorough research make it possible other children will follow. Kathy Cogswell.

    ReplyDelete